What I’m Up To
As suggested here, this is what I’d highlight if I ran into a friend I hadn’t seen in a year:
- Oliver’s Stars for Life day program has been slowing migrating back to the Stars for Life house, although he’s still spending some time working out of our house.
- Oliver is amidst HIST 2610 Britain in the Age of Revolutions: 1688-1860 for the winter semester and the University of PEI; it’s his first purpose-built online course (as opposed to one adapted from a face to face course), and it doesn’t include a formal Zoom lecture, so it’s a little bit of a challenge.
- I found a new frontier in the den of our house, a set of cupboard filled with things of Catherine’s that I need to go through.
- For the first time ever I’m using Facebook actively, but only for the “Widow We Do Now? Widow Wives Club” support group, which I’ve found very helpful.
- Working remotely with colleagues at Yankee Publishing, primarily on the infrastructure supporting Almanac.com and FamilyTreeMagazine.com (this is my 25th year of this partnership).
- Activity in the online shop for my letterpress works, Queen Square Press, has died down after Christmas, both on the production side and the sales side. Prepping for Season 2.
- The chronicle of Catherine’s years living with cancer, Using Her Marbles, continues to sell in reliable dribs and drabs at The Bookmark. John MacFarlane, at the Charlottetown Farmers’ Market, also has a few copies for sale.
- Writing posts for my blog as needs and interests dictate.
- Honing my trade as a letterpress printer.
- I’ve reanimated my interest in bookbinding, and have been creating new books and book-like things through February, along with a cohort of similarly-minded in Toronto and Sweden.
- Diving ever deeper into the world of fountain pens, focusing on the monthly Pen Night in Charlottetown.
- Serving on the board of directors of Stars for Life, focusing on obtaining long-term, sustainable funding for the organization.
- Serving on the Mayor’s Task Force on Active Transportation for the City of Charlottetown; acting as co-chair and the liaison to the Parks & Recreation department.
I last updated this March 1, 2021, and have set myself a reminder to update it monthly from here onward.