If you’re a regular reader of these virtual pages, you’ll notice that there’s been a rather dramatic re-branding here.
After a little more than five years writing under the Reinvented corporate banner, I’ve relocated my writing under a non-corporate banner that you can variously call ruk or ruk.ca.
Back in 1999 when this weblog sprang to life, Reinvented was just me. In recent years I’ve been joined by others: my brother Johnny is a fulltime programmer, and my partner Catherine is a part-time jack of all trades. Who knows: someday there might be others!
So where it used to be true that “Reinvented = Peter,” this is no longer the case. And it didn’t seem fair to be making broad pronouncements about important issues (or irrelevant blather, as the case may be) using a “royal we” that is no longer just me.
There’s a slightly more verbose explanation for the move on the About page. You’ll also find a neat little visual trip through website history there.
Some important things to note:
- The old trifurcated “Reinvented,” “Reinvented Labs” and “Reinvented World” blogs are gone, the posts from each aggregated under this new site. The “Labs” and “World” sub-blogs were drafty places that never got the attention they deserved.
- I’ve ditched the Google AdSense ads. While I was deriving some income from these — about $140US a month — I decided that I could no longer conscience having random ads, not under my control, appear associated with my writing. If I run ads in future, they’ll be for products and services I would use myself.
- There’s a somewhat more minimalist design to this site. I’m sure things will get more cluttered with time. Type and headlines are also larger; I’m getting older and feeling bolder. Thanks to Steven for some tricky CSS debugging help with the new design.
- Links to posts on the old blog should get auto-redirected here. There’s some chance that quirky links and images might be missing or mis-directed; I’d appreciate a note if you notice anything awry.
- The URLs for the RSS feeds have changed: read posts via RSS at ruk.ca/rss/index.xml and read comments at ruk.ca/rss/discuss.xml. The old RSS addresses will redirect (if your reader follows redirects), but please update addresses as required.
- The “Search” feature has disappeared for a bit; it will return. Same thing for the “audio comments” feature.
- I’ve succumbed to conventional usage, and that formerly known as “Discussion” is now known as “Comments.” I still think of it as discussion though and welcome you to do likewise.
I’m sure the design and features of the new site will evolve over time, much as they did at the old home. The Reinvented.net website will [eventually] become a “who is Reinvented and what do they do site” but for now it’s serving mostly as a redirector to this site.
Some welcome to the new place. Make yourself at home.