We recorded another episode of Live From the Formosa Tea House this afternoon (the first episode is here).
Self-flagellation about this episode:
- We squeezed 30 minutes of content into 60 minutes of talking. We could probably lose a lot of the witty side-banter, and tighten up our conversation 50% and not lose anything.
- The sound is better. We were in the back room of the Formosa Tea House, where it’s quieter and more isolated from the fray. Things got worse the more we went along because we forgot to lean into the microphone as our audio guru John advised. We need a big “LEAN IN” sign.
- We were more focused: we had three set topics (Firefox, silverorange stuff and my phone adventures), and something of a structured “okay, now you’re the host” system worked out in advance. We can get better at this.
- We flipped back and forth between “intended audiences” from “telling Ann Thurlow what Firefox is” (which will bore the techies) to “using FOAF and RSS and GPS to drive location-based Thai restaurant wayfinding” (which will bore the normal people). I don’t know what the solution to this is. Maybe there isn’t one.
- Steven needs to read the how to pronounce Rukavina guidelines.
- We have a nifty intro theme, courtesy of GarageBand on my iMac.
- It was still fun and we’ll do it again next week.
Listener feedback is, as always, welcome.
Update: Here’s Steven’s original outline for the show:
- Steven (me): Firefox 1.0 Preview Release (grilled by dan)
- How did we get involved, how are we involved?
- 1.0PR features/fixes
- RSS stuff (live bookmarks)
- Overall polish
- New Find toolbar
- update notifications
- SSL visibility
- Nice linux keyboard stuff
- Usage trends
- Different types of users
- Default install
- Spyware/popups, etc.
- Numbers — SpreadFirefox.com
- Dan: silverorange stuff site (grilled by peter)
- vs. epinions/amazon-review
- Google ads ($$$)
- Peter: The Reinvented telephony setup (grilled by steven)
- tech setup
- future ideas?
- other VOIP stuff