We recorded in the coveted back room of the Formosa, with a very simple technical setup. We all sat around Dan James’ APEX435 microphone, which ran into Steven Garrity’s Behringer Eurotrack UB802 mixer. We took the output of the mixer and plugged it into my iMic, which was plugged into a USB port on my laptop. I did the recording in Sound Studio, saved as an AIFF file, then imported the file into iTunes and converted to an MP3 (24 kbps mono, VBR medium quality).
This episode runs one and a half hours. It didn’t feel “too long” when we were recording it, so we’ve decided to release it completely unedited to maintain the “three guys having lunch” feel. It may feel too long to listen to. Things we discuss:
- Our technical setup.
- Recent travels by Dan to Peru and Peter to France and upcoming travel by Steven to London and Paris (for his honeymoon). [starts 2:42]
- London bombings, “terrorists are people too.” [starts 28:30]
- Steven’s Canon PowerShot S330 digital camera motor goes bad [starts 36:00]
- Queen Street Commons update (and QSC vs. ATC). [starts 37:15]
- An extended riff on the differences between employees, entrepreneurs and freelancers, the responsibility to be “open” about what we do, charging for “mind share” vs. “billing by the hour,” refusing to write proposals for new projects, “adults don’t really know what’s going on,” how we price our services, how we select our clients. [starts 43:50]
- Steven is getting married. [starts 1:13:00]
- Wikis, Wikipedia coverage of London bombings, the Rukapedia, the silverorange wiki. [starts 1:14:48]
- A brief mention of Plazes. [starts 1:28:45]
You can subscribe to the Live from the Formosa Tea House RSS feed if you want to become a regular listener. We’re also in the iTunes 4.9 podcast directory — just search for Formosa.