Here are some of the rules I learned from Sergey:
- Don’t cross over two lanes of traffic in one move: the police will give you a ticket.
- When you’re meeting someone, and when you’re saying good-bye, shake hands. Never shake hands across a doorway: you need to be in the same room.
- When visiting family for the first time, bring gifts.
- Vodka with vodka, beer with beer. Don’t mix them up in one meal.
- Always have bread with a meal.
- It’s okay to have borscht for breakfast.
I’m particularly fond of rules #2 and #5. I’m not sure how to follow rule #1 when turning right out of the PetroCan at University and Belvedere and heading toward the Farmers’ Market.