When Rob tagged me to “tell the world about 5 things that most people may not know of you,” my original reaction was that over 6 years of writing in this space, there’s nothing left. But I’ve had three weeks to ponder, so here goes:
- At the end of high school I considered going on major in classical history, cognitive science, aerospace engineering or journalism. I opted for none of the above.
- I’ve have almost no knowledge whatsoever of things that would, in another time and place, be considered fundamental parts of a basic education: I’ve read almost none of the classics of English literature, I’ve never knowingly read a poem, I know very little about art history, and I’ve never opened the Bible.
- Although I’m not a vegetarian, I rarely eat meat — perhaps 5 or 6 times a month at most.
- My favourite movie is the 1978 Warren Beatty picture Heaven Can Wait. I’ve never seen any of the Godfather movies, the Rocky movies, nor Apocalypse Now and of the AFI Top 100, I’ve only seen 23. And yet going to the movies is one of my favourite things to do and I would happily do it every day if circumstances allowed.
- I’ve been to church only twice, once on Easter Sunday when I was a kid, and once with a friend to a service overseen by his father (where, although this is in some dispute, I may have illegally taken communion). I think I may have violated 8 out of the 10 commandments at one time or another.