1. What Aliant’s website says about the company’s approach:
We’re one of Canada’s top high-tech companies with subsidiaries around the world. We have 10,000 forward-thinking professionals, each focused on creating new and better ways for customers to communicate, work and live. By combining complete and leading-edge solutions with in-depth knowledge, strong customer relationships, extensive reach and a focus on innovation, Aliant is at the forefront of the communications revolution.
2. Date that I emailed a request to Island Tel’s customer service email address asking why calls to the new area code 778 weren’t going through half the time: March 23, 2002.
3. Date that I received a reply: April 5, 2002.
4. Approximate number of hours from question to reply: 312.
5. Estimate of time it would have taken to get the same answer (“call repair”) if I’d just picked up the phone and called Island Tel on March 23: 3 minutes.
6. Factor by which using the Internet decreased Island Tel’s response time: 6,240