Demitasse Spoons

I’ve always called the spoons that accompany tiny cups of espresso “tiny spoons.” It seems they actually have a formal name: demitasse spoons. A demitasse, appropriately enough, being “a small cup of coffee” according to Oxford. A favourite part of our trip to Lisbon last year was finding a hardware store down near the train station that sold “tiny spoons” for 30 cents a piece. They were flimsy, and had burs on the edges, but I bought a half dozen and I treasure them.