This blog and its design are a constant work in progress.
For the last couple of years it’s been peachy to read on mobile devices like phones and tablets; indeed it’s almost a better reading experience.
But that bit down there at the end of posts with all the metadata, that’s never been very nice looking:
So I took a few moments this afternoon and cleaned it up:
I adjusted the line breaks, made the category links bigger (and so easier tap targets, in mobile parlance), and, my favourite change, switched the rendering of “am” and “pm” to “a.m.” and “p.m.”
That last change is one the importance of which was ingrained in me on the first day of my apprenticeship as a printer in the composing room at the Peterborough Examiner: John Braine, longtime journeyman and the man I got sat down beside that first day, in front of a green screen terminal, saw me type “pm” and immediately schooled me in the proper composition thereof. Thank you, John.
Those line breaks and style adjustments are good to have, but the stops in a.m. and p.m. are just added noise.
However, in light of the back story I don't mind at all.