The CBC released a document called Enhancing Regional Connections: A Local/Regional Strategy on Wednesday. Possible developments on Prince Edward Island include:
- A new joint Radio-TV news bureau in Summerside is proposed for 2007-2008.
- On television, “all or part of expanded supper-hour newscast, weekday late-night newscast, weekend local newscast, weekday interstitials” are proposed for Charlottetown for 2007-2008.
- On the web, “expanded CBC.ca coverage, 2nd shift weekdays, weekend shift 9AM-5PM” is proposed for Charlottetown in 2005-2006.
- On radio, “seven days a week news” is proposed for Charlottetown for 2005-2006.
- News reporters will be “called upon to produce items for both Radio and TV.”
Nationally the new initiatives are forecast by the CBC to cost an additional $82.8 million per year by 2007-2008.