A list of every ministerial resignation in the Canadian Parliament since 1867. My personal highlights:
- 1978 — FOX, Francis, Solicitor General of Canada — Liberal — Signed the husband’s name on a hospital document to procure an abortion for a woman with whom he had had an affair.
- 1976 — SHARP, Mitchell William — Privy Council — Liberal — Wants to make room for younger ministers.
- 1968 — LAMARSH, Julia Verlyn (Judy) — Secretary of State of Canada — Liberal — She would never serve in a Trudeau cabinet.
- 1963 — HARKNESS, Douglas Scott — National Defence — Progressive Conservative — Difference of opinion on a matter of principle concerning the Government’s defence policy, specifically the nuclear arms question.
- 1920 — MEWBURN, Sydney Chilton — Militia and Defence — Unionist — With the termination of the war and the task to carry out the problem of demobilization almost completed; “feels that his contract has terminated and that the administration of the department should be handed over to someone else.”
- 1907 — EMMERSON, Henry Robert — Railways and Canals — Liberal — Accused of being in a hotel in the city of Montreal with a person of ill-repute. Resigns not to embarrass the Prime Minister.
By the way, I do think that Hon. Ralph Goodale should resign. I have every reason to think he’s a stand-up guy, and I think it’s conceivable that there was, in fact, no leak from his department. But while his Ministry is under the cloud of criminal investigation, I think it’s only proper that he step aside, if only to remove any suggestion of impropriety as the investigation proceeds. I don’t think there’s any shame in resignation, I simply think it’s The Right Thing To Do.