My personal calculation: 6.65 Tonnes/year. That places me above the national average (5 Tonnes) and below the provincial average (7 Tonnes). My biggest contribution, 4 Tonnes, comes from home heating. If I did the following things, I could reduce my contribution to 3.88 Tonnes:
- Caulk, weatherstrip and professionally air seal your home throughout.
- Upgrade attic insulation to R-51 where possible.
- Upgrade basement wall insulation to R-20 where possible.
- Upgrade wooden doors to steel, foam core doors.
- Install a programmable thermostat and set it to automatically reduce temperatures in your home in winter.
- Replace your refrigerator with an Energy Star rated high-efficiency refrigerator.
- Use a cold water wash and rinse instead of warm or hot water to wash your clothes.
- Use a push mower instead of a gas-powered mower.
- Use 50% green electricity in your home.