Charlottetown is alive with the sound of jackhammers:
- A new Home Hardware going up on the St. Peters Road, presumably the new location of the store currently in the Ellis Bros. shopping centre.
- A new Bank of Nova Scotia going up next to Vogue Optical on St. Peters Road.
- Renovations to the Parkdale Pharmacy.
- The hill under Future Shop and across from Wal-mart is being carved out to make room for new Old Navy and Michaels Crafts stores.
- Something’s happening in the vacant lot between Shaddy’s and the former Melons location on University Avenue — lots of dozing and digging.
- The Mike’s location next to the Charlottetown Mall is closed for renovations.
- The new Holland College residence on Grafton St. is nearing completion.
- The new monster residence on the UPEI campus is stretching ever taller by the day.
I don’t think we’ve seen this much new construction since the Kirkwood fell to the wrecker’s ball ten years ago.
By the way, if you’re creative, rich and entrepreneurial, both the old YMCA and the Basilica Rec Centre are for sale.