Lisa | Monday, August 26, 2013 - 10:41pm

You don't appear to have a French text, but here is what Andrew said about the Hungarian:

settings = Beállítások
enable-foursquare = Engedélyezi a Foursquare-t?
currently-disabled = Jelenleg nincs engedélyezve.
foursquare-instructions = Ahhoz, hogy engedélyezze a Foursquare bejelentkezést, ellenőrizze a fenti mezőt és hitelesítse magát a Foursquare-on.

Andrew: The Hungarian uses “field” instead of box. Just picking nits here. Can’t even remember the proper word for checkbox, so can’t even suggest an alternative.

confirm-checkins = Bejelentkezés megerősítése?
confirm-explanation = Megerősítés igénylése minden egyes alkalommal?
checkin-confirmation = Bejelentkezik a

Andrew: This is a fragmented phrase: “checking in as… [expecting a name]” rather than “Checkin to”

cancel = Cancel
ok = OK
checkedin = Bejelentkezve.
gps-waiting = Várakozás a GPS-re
gps-explanation = Várakozás a GPS-re, hogy visszatérjen az ön aktuális tartózkodási helyére.

Andrew: This means “Waiting for the GPS to return to your actual standing location” rather than “to return your actual location”. Not sure if Hungarian native speakers would actually parse that the same way as the English phrase (never having used a GPS there.) Again, a nitpick really.

AW | Monday, August 26, 2013 - 6:04pm

I found your post when I was googling around for this clip after a friend told me about it (and when you hear about Rukavina on national radio, you listen!). 4 seconds doesn't really say much about this particular Rukavina (except maybe that he has a dark sense of humor)-- but this particular Ruk is a legend here in Minnesota. Tom is a former State Representative who served for 26 years, expert in Iron Range history, and champion for local industry and unions. Might not be related, but I thought I would share a little more information about someone who is making the family name proud here "down south"!

Lisa | Sunday, August 25, 2013 - 9:32pm

If you show me your Hungarian and French texts, I can check them for you in the comments (especially if I have the original text). I'd prefer not to have to register elsewhere though.

Ashley | Saturday, August 24, 2013 - 9:45am

Hi, thanks so much for your post! It's the only one I've found trying to accomplish this. I'm working on a slightly different use than your original and was wondering if you would mind weighing in?

I've cloned and edited your pipe, adding a filter to the results to catch only my own highlights. Then using the service ifttt I created a statement that copies every new item in my pipes-generated rss into my evernote account for tagging and searching.

But I'm not getting all my highlights and can't quite figure out why - do you have any thoughts on it?

Thanks!

Alan | Friday, August 23, 2013 - 8:19pm

Thanks Peter for all your hard work and the importance is to our democracy on PEI.

Cynthia King | Friday, August 23, 2013 - 8:14pm

Great story Peter. Keep enjoying what you do.

mespilus | Friday, August 23, 2013 - 7:22pm

Having unsuccessfully tried to import a 300+ waypoint bike ride route into my Nokia N8, (three times by the way, as a standard .lmx file then as a route .lmx, then as a track .lmx),
the N8 did not see any 'route' just 300+ 'places' three times.
If only I was savvy enough to understand what you have illustrated above,
but I may as well be a dog staring at a bike.

Well done you,
I'll have to go back to individually deleting each 'place',
with the long wait as the overworked Here server eventually lets me know I can proceed.

Robert Paterson | Friday, August 23, 2013 - 5:37pm

An epic journey dear Peter - a job well done. Many thanks from a voter

Stephen Pate | Friday, August 23, 2013 - 11:07am

Trying to find the "culprit" in just electrical loads is a bit myopic. People who shift their use from oil to electricity, which was deemed good until the HST hit, are doing the energy consumption a favour.

Air-to-air heat pumps, as opposed to ground-source heat pumps have become popular in North America and PEI over the last year. Do people who switch consume less energy overall? Heat pumps are supposed to have a 3:1 efficiency ratio over electricity (about the same as ground source from deep wells) but that is the theoretical advantage.

I have a friend in Norway who says in Scandinavia no one can afford oil and they almost universally use electric heat and heat pumps.

Nathan | Thursday, August 22, 2013 - 9:33pm

Hello Peter,

I went through the same ordeal as you with Bell Aliant and had to fight like hell to get a Bell Turbo Stick with Cradlepoint wireless modem. They had actually got my download speed to as high as 10mb per second. I was absolutely ecstatic as I work from home and use the internet for everything!

I received the attached letter in the mail a few days ago to inform me that “high speed” is now available in my area. The highest they can give me is 1.5mb per second. Not only that, they want to charge me double!! They attempted to call me to set up an appointment to collect their turbo stick and modem…I will barricade the doors and hold on to this turbo stick…. They will have pry it from my cold lifeless fingers!!!!

Lol But seriously, do I have a legal recourse? Can bell do this based on my current contract? Not sure I have the contract….

Joshua Biggley | Wednesday, August 21, 2013 - 11:27pm

I had read somewhere (reference unavailable as my mental librarian has gone to bed already) that it takes more energy to heat a home than it does to cool a home. I like the idea of A/C as the culprit, but I'd be interested in anyone who does whole home energy monitoring and uses both electric heat and A/C. Your data could certainly suggest that our higher winter load bears out my "winter is more energy hungry" opinion.

That said, I imagine anyone who does monitor their entire home energy usage likely has heat sources other than electricity! I really do find it puzzling that if Maritime Electric bills for all the energy that is used off its grid that is can't classify that usage as either residential, commercial, industrial or institutional. I can't imagine there are that many locations that produce their own industrial power in PEI. (A Chrysler plant in Windsor, Ontario that I worked at did, but that was a massive facility.)

So much data yet so little data.

Nathan | Wednesday, August 21, 2013 - 6:38pm

We probably have all the data necessary to plot the relationship between daily high temp and electrical usage. Here's a graph for last summer in the US.

The full post containing the above graph also states "the typical home consumes 20-30% more electricity overall on the hottest days, relative to an average summer day":

Rob | Wednesday, August 21, 2013 - 5:43pm

Nathan is correct. A/C is the culprit.
In warmer environs where electric heat in the winter does not generate the kind of load it does here, it's the summer *cooling* season that utilities really struggle to supply.

Nathan | Wednesday, August 21, 2013 - 5:28pm

Yes, it's air conditioning. A/C uses alot of electricity and in addition to locals there are alot of air conditioned rooms for all the tourists.

Andrew M | Wednesday, August 21, 2013 - 2:24pm

Lovely running route as well. One of my favourite ways to see the island.

Ben | Tuesday, August 20, 2013 - 1:29pm

I guess there's some confusion over the name of the guy from Tim Cook's office...

Dave (D.A.) Stewart | Tuesday, August 20, 2013 - 11:15am

I love this, Peter.

Peter Rukavina | Tuesday, August 20, 2013 - 10:56am

It figures that I would make a typographical error when referring to Jane Ledwell, one of the Island's great editors.

Tim | Monday, August 19, 2013 - 2:08pm

Got this this morning (I hate double thisses)- very cool. The anonymity of it at first fed a misguided sense of self-importance as if I have a stalker. Although mildly exciting to me, Pauline insisted I google it and lo and behold there was Ruk. Thanks Peter. Send me your address and I'll send you something that will be cool.

Ian Scott | Monday, August 19, 2013 - 1:56pm

Great item Peter, I think you meant to say "This brings to mind Jane Ledwell’s talk." Although mine - may still be the more appropriate term for this wonderful data-mining exercise.

Cheers,
Ian

Nathan | Monday, August 19, 2013 - 11:17am

A well-known blogger, Peter Rukavina, uses research to expose Island ways.

Lee Ellen | Monday, August 19, 2013 - 9:56am

"But HER father Robert [MacLean], a well-known businessman himself, took her aside with some advice." (emphasis mine)

This comment infers that whoever "HER" is, she is also a well-known businessman...

At a time when word count is important, you'd think The Guardian would cut out the "well-known" out, but that, like being "well-known" is stating the obvious.

Tracey Allen | Monday, August 19, 2013 - 9:25am

So true.

puma | Monday, August 19, 2013 - 7:25am

Acknowledges this made for intresting lesson. These are firm to befall by , instantly miscellaneous system can insight against this place indeed is hardly light.Bless you mere much. New Dentures