Philip Alford | Tuesday, November 26, 2013 - 1:39am

HSBC would not allow me to open an account in euros as a US resident, despite my preparedness to provide a substantial deposit and have a small automatic euro deposit from a pension. Worse still, I was told that I could have a euro account if I first opened a US$ account, but when I did that they then told me I could not have the euro account and charged me to close the dollar account. I hardly recommend them.

I'm really in a bind, because the large euro amount is now in an offshore account with Lloyds TSB, which has provided substandard service, and always converts money at a rate of about four points below the prevailing internet rate, and they are unable to receive the automated pension payment, which now goes to a local bank in the European country from which the pension originates, but that bank won't exchange the money for me and send it to me in dollars. If Lloyds sends money in euros, it goes to their correspondent bank in the US (New York Mellon), which refuses to tell me even an approximation of their euro/dollar exchange rate because I don't have an account with them. And to open one they want a minimum million dollar deposit. And when I did have money sent in euros some years ago, I not only got a terrible exchange rate, but it went through a series of banks, each of which took a bite out of it, so I'm not really inclined to do that again, anyway.

So now I'm stuck with two bank accounts in euros, both of which are screwing me around, and the US won't let me have a euro account here. What a joke. The goddam bankers control everything.

Any suggested solution will be most welcome.

Thanks,

P A

msaad | Monday, November 25, 2013 - 2:24pm

Peter,

I'm curious about the javascript. The l10n.js library isn't supposed to work "automagically"? Why did you end up needing to call the .get on the exposed object to get it working?

I'm localizing an app myself right now and this came in mind. I'm not being able to get it to work!

Thanks for your help,

~msaad

Private | Sunday, November 24, 2013 - 4:18pm

It's way past time for Charlie Rose to be as affirming to his viewers as he is to his guests: We want an RSS feed (not eMail) about upcoming interviews on the PBS nightly broadcast (and other media he might choose to include).

Jim | Saturday, November 23, 2013 - 12:57pm

For anyone trying to change the default language to English, the number and prompts changed once again. I was able to get the new information via a chat session with someone at Vodafone.de.

1) Dial 22044

2) wait for a bit

3) Choose options 5 then 4 then 2.

You cannot press option 5 right away, I hit 5 a few times before and the recorded message kept going. Eventually I could tell that the first portion of the recorded message was over and I was allowed to choose the first option (5). After than you can immediately go to 4 and 2.

Terence | Friday, November 22, 2013 - 3:49pm

I switched two phones from a monthly family plan to two Pay-As-You-Go plans with unlimited texting. Rogers set it us as unlimited evening/weekend calling. It wasn't something the automated system could fix. So a big thanks Alex Jan 13,2013 for the contact info. It took 20 minutes to fix both accounts. Bottom line, this contact method still works.

Steve | Friday, November 22, 2013 - 8:13am

Works for me

Peter Rukavina | Thursday, November 21, 2013 - 4:40pm

I was sort of assuming you would be playing the role of Mike Birbiglia, jetting in for the weekend to regale us with a monologue based on your adventures in California.

Daniel Burka | Thursday, November 21, 2013 - 4:20pm

I just saw RadioLab live in Oakland last week. All you need is a band, life-size dinosaur costumes, and 1.5 hours of prepared material and you'll be all set! I kid. Would love to watch via video if possible.

Alexandra | Tuesday, November 19, 2013 - 5:32pm

I have gallstones too. I am skinny and young, 25. I used to do a lot of Ketamine recreationally. I have a theory that the ketamine is a causing factor for young women who aren't overweight but have gallstones. Anyone else think this rings true?
The attacks are mostly mild and don't happen frequently. The first one I had was the worst but it hasn't happened that bad again. I would hate to be pregnant and have to deal with severe attacks so I'm thinking of getting the gallbladder out to prevent this from happening. For me my hormones set them off (had to go off the pill). But I also hate the idea of invasive surgery with significant complication statistics.

avanrienen | Sunday, November 17, 2013 - 5:48pm

I used this excellent guide a year ago with no problem on my Macbook running Lion. Only recently I tried to follow the steps above again to setup the very same thing with my new computer running Mountain Lion. With no success. :(

After some time (and reading many how-to and other help-articles), I found a brief article that resolved the issues described above for me: https://gist.github.com/thelibrarian/5520597

As the author writes, there were a "couple of oversights on Apple's part". And so it seems.

PS: Please also note the "Credit Where Credit Is Due" on the above mentioned article.

PSS: I created a Diigo bundle that includes both this tutorial here plus the brief article summarising the necessary modifications for future reference: http://bit.ly/17BkFvZ

Angelica | Thursday, November 14, 2013 - 5:06pm

Thank you.. Thank you for the detailed direction!

Steve Dimond | Wednesday, November 13, 2013 - 7:12pm

Thanks for sharing! Great information. Charts help explain ... Can you source Temperature and Wind data to plot against .... come up with correlations ? For the charts, you might try mmm-dd-yy date format -- may be easier to differentiate ... and add major gridlines .. same reason.

Well Done .. keep it up.
cheers
@steveinpei

Jim | Tuesday, November 12, 2013 - 6:42pm

I know this is a bit late but might help someone someday...

The circuit breaker should be off first of course for any of the following.

The stove top burner control is accessed behind the control panel, on my 2002ish Superba slide in range that meant flipping open a top plastic cover to expose the fluorescent light tube, remove light tube to expose two screws, remove screws and now the entire front of the control panel hinges down towards the stove top. That gives access to the rear of the controls.

You can wipe down the inside of the display, you'll have to do as above to gain access to the rear of the controls then remove the control board. On my stove the control board and display are easiest to remove if you remove it all as a unit, it is held in by the screws holding the two burner control screws plus all the wire connectors going to the control board. Once complete unit removed you can remove the control board from the metal frame by bending back the metal tabs plus removing two screws. Now you can get to the back of the front panel to clean.

Apparently these stoves can also suffer from intermittent displays too, often a bad solder joint on the control board, re-solder bad joints to fix.

My stove just had an F2E0 error code pop up after some steamy baking. F2E0 is a stuck key on the control panel. On mine the problem couldn't be repaired as the control board and key panel are not available and isn't repairable. However I fixed mine by peeling off the front panel overlay to expose the printed carbon switch contacts and cleaning with alcohol, could see the problem area on two switches where the carbon material had run together after getting moist over time. The front overlay was able to be stuck back in place with enough stick left. Works great again!

Bob Braun | Tuesday, November 12, 2013 - 10:23am

Greetings. I'm the grandson of Milica (nee Rukavina) Bartolac, daughter of Mihail and Jelena (nee Janjetovic) Rukavina. Grandma was born in 1904. She said she grew up in Otocac, but local officials cannot find documentation confirming that she was born in Otocac. She immigrated to Kansas City, KS in 1921. Her cousin, Tommy 'Tomo' Rukavina (son of Stejepan and Ana Rukavina) was born in Otocac, Vlaskopolje #19, on 02AUG 1889. I'm looking for help documenting her life, so if you have a geneology that includes a Milica, Milka or Mica Rukavina whose parents were Mihail and Jelena, please contact me at: rbraun1@kc.rr.com. Hvala.

alexander | Monday, November 11, 2013 - 6:25pm

Welcome to the new sincerity http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Sincerity

Peter Rukavina | Sunday, November 10, 2013 - 6:57pm

You can get the (newly uploaded) full-size version of the photo here on Flickr. I assume you were looking for the Vitra picture, not the picture of my ear ;-)

Parker Higgins | Sunday, November 10, 2013 - 6:27pm

Any chance I could get a 1280x800 version to set as my desktop background?

Peter Rukavina | Thursday, November 7, 2013 - 11:50am
Ashley | Monday, November 4, 2013 - 3:41pm

Yes I would like to see the code, John :)

I'm kind of new to hooks and custom modules. Would this require me to create a new module from scratch?

Really appreciate your time.

Oliver | Saturday, November 2, 2013 - 8:26pm

I had to be told that I'm not shy not too long ago. Actually I'm not sure I know what it means to be shy anymore, but I've accepted that I'm not. I've always thought it was absurd that you considered yourself shy. I mean, you phoned and talked to somebody at the Kremlin while live on Trent Radio, Peter. Geez. Anyway, it's nice that people as old us as can still come to realize things about ourselves. Or is that inevitable with age? I dunno.

Mike G | Friday, November 1, 2013 - 10:15am

You need to start by imagining yourself in a world where your character is a blogger by day and LARPer by night.

O | Thursday, October 31, 2013 - 11:56am

I never thought of it as Nordic. I did see the documentary "monster camp" which was interesting. I thought it had a connection to the renaissance fair, as far as the culture it evolved from. Maybe that's the story for how it came about in the US. I bet it's a post internet phenomenon.

Botond | Wednesday, October 30, 2013 - 1:50pm

Hi!

I'm Hungarian, I'm pleased to the Hungarian translation. :)

These are better sentences:

---------

foursquare-instructions = Ahhoz, hogy engedélyezze a Foursquare bejelentkezést, jelölje be a fenti mezőt és hitelesítse magát a Foursquare-en.

confirm-explanation = Megerősítés kérése minden egyes alkalommal?

gps-explanation = Várakozás a GPS-re, hogy megállapítsa az ön aktuális tartózkodási helyét.

---------

Yes, "Várakozás a GPS-re, hogy visszatérjen az ön aktuális tartózkodási helyére." means "Waiting for the GPS to return to your actual standing location".

abnelson | Tuesday, October 29, 2013 - 6:12pm

I just found a Memo tablet with that saying at the top. (Not quite the same as the one in your picture.) It was in my Dad's stuff who died about 20 yrs ago. He worked at Hanford Nuclear Plant in Washington State. I wonder if this was part of the "secrecy" that surrounded the plant. Dad couldn't ever talk about his job.

Paul Fishman | Tuesday, October 29, 2013 - 5:17am

Hey,
Does anyone know about EasyBooks? http://easybooksapp.com
It looks good to me.