Confused | Saturday, December 14, 2013 - 11:49am

There are 60 odd schools, and there just had millions poured into hooking them up to a new new network to give them all the same access access to centralized servers and the Internet, and had millions budgeted for infrastructure upgrades.

Sounds like the old Monty Python movie, where the Judeans were sitting around complaining that the Romans had never done anything for them.

Planning some sort of Island-wide centrally controlled thing makes sense. Unless you are from one of the rich schools in Charlottetown, you get penalized for living in a rural area.

Anonymous | Friday, December 13, 2013 - 11:49pm

But still shows how PEIers would rather nickel and dime a "good enough" solution (probably on a school by school basis) rather that work together to create something that wouldn't make them look like poor rednecks.

Anonymous | Friday, December 13, 2013 - 11:45pm

So much for disproving Harper's claim of a defeatist attitude. No idea who it will be awarded to, or what the results are, and already deciding it is a failure, and assigning blame and slightly veiled ad hominems.

Ken | Friday, December 13, 2013 - 11:43pm

More Gbytes of student files reside on Future Shop USB sticks than school servers, and when we compare 10Mb Novell Netmail to Gmail - any yahoo would pick Gmail. Future Shop is a step up from second hand.

On the front line | Friday, December 13, 2013 - 11:20pm

Oh dear Peter, you do realize that they already have someone chosen for this position,don't you?
Releasing an RFP in mid-December to start work in January? Please!
Someone who will go through the motions of collecting information, consult with the stakeholders and then produce a report with recommendations that are mere incremental tweaks that are predetermined and palatable to ITSS and the folks in the Sullivan building.
More rearranging of deck chairs and buying of time.

Really | Friday, December 13, 2013 - 4:37pm

How so?

The details look rather in depth and specific. Not some yahoo who'll come in and suggest we add some wireless stuff from Future Shop around, and move everything to Google.

Ken | Friday, December 13, 2013 - 4:30pm

This is an RFP for the Lone Ranger when we need an RFP for @Notch.

So when the "research" is "aligned with top provincial prioriies" does that mean a browser upgrade from IE7?

Techie1 | Friday, December 13, 2013 - 1:30pm

How about what you did with Teachernet plus Google Docs or Microsoft 360?

Techie1 | Friday, December 13, 2013 - 12:35pm

Surely there is a teacher that can tell IT what they need. It can't be that hard.

Mace | Thursday, December 12, 2013 - 11:36pm

I literally grew up in this building and have spent countless hours in the offices and halls at 141 Kent. It has been vacant since 2000 when CFCY and CHLQ moved to 5 Prince Street. I greatly miss this building and hope it gets some much needed maintenance from the Tweel family.

Josh Biggley | Wednesday, December 11, 2013 - 10:39pm

In all fairness to the PEI library system, this Interlibrary Loan Request Form is actually an Interlibrary System Loan Request Form, not to be confused with the ease of requesting an in-system item from another library on PEI. Our family makes heavy use of the 'request an item from anywhere on PEI' service to bring materials to our local library. Given the restrictions that most library services have in other regions (usually bounded by city or county systems), the ability to request an item from any library on the Island makes for a rather staggering number of items at our fingertips.

Plus, going to the library gives you a chance to talk with our outstanding librarians who have been curating cross-media content long before it become the past-time of internet denizens everywhere.

Chuck | Wednesday, December 11, 2013 - 11:15am

It's funny, isn't it? My wife and I managed an apartment building for nearly five years; it's how we saved the downpayment for our house. By day I was writing software used by teachers and schoolchildren all over the planet, but I sometimes got more visceral satisfaction from having mopped the stairwell or trimmed the hedges, not least because it was obvious what "done" looked like.

Autoharp Bill | Friday, December 6, 2013 - 11:58pm

When I was younger I did not cross anything, but people misread me, so at first I started crossing Z, then crossing 0, then crossing 7. Another one that I do and I'm surprised nobody has mentioned it, is crossing my V. V was getting misread as U and vice-versa; more than once someone read it wrong and I ended up getting the wrong part. I saw a friend of mine crossing his Vs about 15 years ago, I picked it up and I have not gone back.

Sometimes people ask what that character is; I tell them and they agree it makes sense

TheDude | Thursday, December 5, 2013 - 4:01pm

With the 2014 celebrations coming up, I'd like to think someone at City Hall is encouraging property local slumlords to clean up their scummy downtown properties.

Costas | Thursday, December 5, 2013 - 12:50pm

Standout clean design. Congrats.

Earle MacDonald | Thursday, December 5, 2013 - 11:15am

This Building would make a nice Museum.......

sam | Wednesday, December 4, 2013 - 5:49pm

Wonder if they have tenants or are they forced into fixing it up as it is an eyesore and has been for as long I remember... Should be made into low income housing for seniors.. with a farmers market on the main floor..

Lobie | Wednesday, December 4, 2013 - 4:00pm

I recall an early hour walk on Kent Street about two years ago. It was just before dawn and an adult skunk was making its way into a hole that seemed to lead into the basement of the former record store. One man's eyesore is another creature's habitat.

Katharine | Wednesday, December 4, 2013 - 12:35pm

Hopefully the owners won't think this gives them licence to ask for even higher rent... I have a recollection of hearing they wanted 3000+ per month for the bottom floor (in the state it was in).

Ian Scott | Wednesday, December 4, 2013 - 11:20am

Great to see some action on this corner finally. Once a really beautiful building - it was home to W E Dawson's hardware store (not to be confused with W B Dawson, the tanner). There is a great picture/history of the building here. http://www.city.charlottetown.pe.ca/searchaproperty.php?propid=2089

Timothy Cullen | Wednesday, December 4, 2013 - 11:04am

So glad to see this happening. I have always been annoyed by that building - and the one across the street that's just as bad - smack in the middle of a busy intersection, but abandoned and sad. Hopefully they give it a nice facelift and find some quality new tenants!

Jorge | Monday, December 2, 2013 - 1:37pm

I had a similar problem and after i tried everything i found that the problem was in the permissions of the /usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages directory (i installed trac as root), i changed the owner of the directory and all subdirectories and files and it worked like a charm, maybe this could help anyone with this similar problem.

Kamal | Wednesday, November 27, 2013 - 10:15am

I have one of these callya fun sim card which was supposed to have a 15 Euro credit attached to it. I do not know why but I immediately got a message saying that I am down to 1 euro. Am I missing something? furthermore, I have 200mb of data which dropped down to less than 100 mb after 2 days of very light usage...how to I top it up?

Philip Alford | Tuesday, November 26, 2013 - 6:02pm

Just spoke with Desjardins in Vancouver BC, and they don't offer accounts other than in C$ and US$, and had no suggestion regarding a solution.