Igor | Monday, July 15, 2013 - 11:11am

I really enjoyed your post, Peter.

And I feel very much reminded of my decision to switch full time to Linux as my main OS years and years ago. I stopped at some point. I didn't feel that the community understood what it takes to develop solutions for users who do not care for fiddling around a bit too much.

Now, I'm not going to say that Linux wasn't successful, on the contrary. But the people who use Linux today do not use it because it's open, but because it's Android. Open, unfortunately, doesn't seem to be a strong enough motivator for people to switch. Convenience trumps principles when it comes to daily technology use.

I strongly hope that Firefox OS will learn from the short comings of its predecessors and won't only be more open, but actually be better at what it provides for the user.

Ashley | Sunday, July 14, 2013 - 4:08pm

Yes that is what the organisation chart from grade school said. Yes I think it is indicative of bigger problems.

Lellen | Sunday, July 14, 2013 - 12:16pm

Café Diem is no more and is now called Ristorante Diem owned by Mamdouh. It's totally awesome - great service, wonderful location, and the food is, well, lovely.

James Ramsay | Sunday, July 14, 2013 - 6:09am

...and about as far as my Koschuk side in Husiatyn, neighbour.

Peter Rukavina | Saturday, July 13, 2013 - 10:29pm
Peter Rukavina | Saturday, July 13, 2013 - 3:16pm

We own Victoria Row in common with each other, and that ownership is expressed through the City of Charlottetown, to which we elect representatives to govern and manage that ownership, among other things. If that's sentimental, then we've got bigger problems.

Melissa | Saturday, July 13, 2013 - 1:51pm

Really? I hope no one is ever dumb enough to believe that. And you waisted your time typing that? Talk about having no life at all!

Ashley | Saturday, July 13, 2013 - 1:29pm

In what sense do we own Vic Row. We cannot use like we use other things we own. Do we own it merely because money that was once ours maintains it. Formerly my money pays for groceries every welfare day. They are not mine. Practically speaking Vic Row belongs to city council. To say otherwise is to be sentimental.

David | Saturday, July 13, 2013 - 12:41pm

I don't know if they do cross-border, but I know people who've shipped things very economically using Greyhound, the bus company.

Kelly Tallariti | Friday, July 12, 2013 - 11:03pm

Hi there, I was the guy who traded in the black tab. Do you still own it?

Oliver | Friday, July 12, 2013 - 6:20pm

Shipping in the other direction, from the States to Canada, it's key you look out for the hidden cost of shepherding your package through custom. One company I looked into charged $55 and another nothing. There's a long thread of lore on ebay.com.

Tim P | Friday, July 12, 2013 - 1:36pm

now it works...! I was just saying that I have the same tape Pete and I digitized it too. Great song - tis my favourite on the album.

Tim P | Friday, July 12, 2013 - 1:35pm

can't seem to post a comment

Peter Rukavina | Friday, July 12, 2013 - 1:13pm

I've set up a redirect for AllanRankin.com that points to AllanRankinMusic.ca. So, alas, the world will no longer get to experience ye olde Allan Rankin website design ;-)

Peter Rukavina | Friday, July 12, 2013 - 1:11pm

Hey, hold on, what's AllanRankinMusic.ca?! Looks like my midwifery services are no longer required!

Michael Dennis | Friday, July 12, 2013 - 12:29pm

Peter,
What a treat. Thank you.
I knew David then and know him on FB now. I went to high school with Ken and hung around with Elizabeth.
I worked on a couple of plays that David starred in. Many parties with him at the piano singing. I always loved his voice. It's a real treat to hear this.

David Ramsden | Friday, July 12, 2013 - 11:59am

Tim - I don't remember what I said - what did I say?

Tim | Friday, July 12, 2013 - 11:41am

David is also responsible for perhaps my all time favourite answer in The Arthur's valentine edition of the 'we asked you' type feature.

Nancy | Friday, July 12, 2013 - 11:20am

good story Peter. Thanks for the two recordings. They are both lovely with the second more effervescent.

Steven Garrity | Friday, July 12, 2013 - 9:20am

Through this tail, you do a good job of explaining what Firefox OS *is* and why it exists. The "Linux-0.93-in-1993" comparison (for better or worse) is apt. It's not great right now, but 20 years later (!!!) linux powers most of the internet and half (ish) of the smartphones in the world.

I'm still unsure of emulating the packaged/emulated apps model, though it has been stupendously successful on iOS and Android. This is better explained by a mozilla web developer here: http://groovecoder.com/2013/01/07/packaged-html5-apps-are-we-emulating-failure/

In the venn-diagram of (people-who-know-peter) & (people-interested-in-Firefox-OS), I think I might be lonely in the middle, but keep writing.

Oliver B | Thursday, July 11, 2013 - 3:57pm

I think I know what you mean by "hot tourists", but your coffee story was particularly intriguing for a moment.

Oliver B | Thursday, July 11, 2013 - 3:54pm

I'm totally with you on sling packing. I have a Victorinox-branded one-off I found in a clearance bin almost a decade ago, which my mother long ago said she admired, and I have been searching over the years to find another like it for her. Maybe yours qualifies. Mine has a zipper on the bottom that let's it expand a bit, which is handy. No earphone cable guide or iPod holder though. I suppose Bluetooth have made those somewhat outmoded.

Oliver B | Thursday, July 11, 2013 - 3:35pm

Interesting. Good lesson, and I admire you for teaching it.Totally fitting too for your library position.

Dan James | Wednesday, July 10, 2013 - 2:03pm

We were kids when we started blogging. It's the circle of life.

Peter Rukavina | Wednesday, July 10, 2013 - 1:38pm

Just had a letter of reference notarized by the Prothonotary: just called his office, made an appointment, and showed up. He brought out his box of stamps and seals, briefly read over the letter, and signed it, dated it, stamped it and sealed it. No charge.