Steve | Tuesday, March 18, 2014 - 6:54am

Great story about a greta person. She was very kind to me too.

Leesy | Sunday, March 16, 2014 - 10:01am

Hi, I have experienced exactly what you have described. I began waking during the night with terrible pain in my upper abdomen, I was sent for am ultrasound where they discovered polyps in my gallbladder. One year on I'm still experiencing the symptoms so I had another ultrasound the other say and not only do I have the polyps still they have now also discovered sludge in my gallbladder as well which is basically gallbladder disease. I believe the polyps do have something to do with the initial pain and discomfort, I would suggest having another ultrasound to see if there's been any change in the polyps or you may have sludge like I do which must have developed inbetween my last ultrasound so a small space of 6 months. Booked in to see surgeon now.

Leesy | Sunday, March 16, 2014 - 9:59am

Todd Gallant | Tuesday, March 11, 2014 - 10:39pm

This will be an exciting adventure for your family, Peter. How wonderful for Oliver to have this opportunity! I look forward to hearing about and seeing your newest family member.

Robert Paterson | Tuesday, March 11, 2014 - 4:08pm

I want a job at the school!

Andrew M | Tuesday, March 11, 2014 - 11:31am

Sounds perfect. I'm brushing up on my French for a trip to Europe in April and have been listening to his two French albums, both are quite excellent.

Derek | Sunday, March 9, 2014 - 9:22pm

I like it when they wipe the counter down with whatever cleaning solvent, put the lid down on it, then hand it to me with a smile. Bleach in the coffee no thanks

Lori | Sunday, March 9, 2014 - 8:33pm

Having been negatively affected by a twisted media story, I feel your pain.
I do appreciate the explanation. I did wonder what was going on, but my youngest daughter is in grade twelve and I really didn't know if--at this point in time-it's my place to question the direction the PEIHS is taking.

Ryan Pineau | Sunday, March 9, 2014 - 4:42pm

And my wife wonders why I keep this stuff. It's a great way to look back.

David | Saturday, March 8, 2014 - 11:29am

This is something you only learn with experience, unfortunately - particularly bad interviews. Media training taught me:

1) The media even if they're your friends are not your friends during the interview;
2) Broadening the discussion (and the context) is almost always where people get in trouble;
3) Never assume anything outside of the words you just said is understated, understood or will be communicated.

Most spokespeople are human (some more than others), but those robotic speaking notes are a product of the 10-second soundbite environment. The only way to ensure your core message gets embedded is for you to pivot to it over, and over, and over again.

dave cormier | Saturday, March 8, 2014 - 1:00am

Well said Peter. I've sent your post off to a colleague who had a similar experience. He thought it was his fault...

Michael Gelman | Friday, March 7, 2014 - 1:27am

The accurate measurement of pupillary distance (space between your pupils or optical centers) is critical in fabricating your prescription eyewear properly. The optical center of the lens should be directly in line with your pupil. The stronger the power of the lenses the more important that it is accurate or vision/eyestrain issues can occur. As a licensed optician who owns two high end optical practices, I have no issues giving my patients their monocular PD so they can order glasses on line. I just advise them that I am not responsible for the result/quality or accuracy of the finished product. My offices fabricate all eyewear on premises and we are extremely accurate in the finished product as well as using lenses only by Carl ZEISS. If you are not familiar with this company look them up!

Peter Rukavina | Thursday, March 6, 2014 - 6:09pm

To tie a knot on this: months and months later, in March of 2014, I ended up shipping the boxes via Purolator Ground. The total was about $180, and I was able to book the shipment and print labels online, and a man showed up at my office a few hours later to pick them up. I just received word that they arrived in Massachusets today, 3 days after I shipped them. That seems pretty magical to me, and certainly worth $180.

Oliver B | Thursday, March 6, 2014 - 2:39am

I'm guessing the PD is critical for grinding and positioning the lenses in the frame, but not so critical to the dimensions of the frame by itself.

Oliver B | Thursday, March 6, 2014 - 2:38am

I tried it and got 62mm too, but then I looked at the spec on the bridge of my glasses and I see it's 49-19, which according to another web site means the distance between my two lens centers is 49+19=68mm, not 62mm. The same site says the PD isn't the be all and end all, though.

Scott Redford | Tuesday, March 4, 2014 - 5:32pm

Hi I got one of these Callya Smartphone FUN 15 at media mart when I bought a new Nokia Lumia because of its good camera. But its been a pain to set up. First it said I had no money so I topped up at a store they recommend and no when I dial numbers it says I have the wrong number but my friends iPhone with a Blau prepaid was able to call those numbers and overseas too. Mind you the Blau was hard to get right initially. Why can't Germany get this to simple, it's not rocket science !!

thinkaboutit | Friday, February 28, 2014 - 8:25pm

Tim Horton's has the best DARK ROAST COFFEE ...AS FOR CUSTOMERS AND EMPLOYEES ...Everyone has their bad days, and good days and their mood swings.
I think people should treat people with respect..
and a lot of people complaining should stop looking down their noses...at the ones that work at Tim Horton's they don't work for you for one ..they are serving you because chances are your too damn lazy to make something for yourself at home. They are not sitting back getting high or drinking or living on welfare they are earning a honest living, on their feet their whole shift unless on their breaks ....and if you do happen to see them standing around talking...they could very well be discussing what has to be done on their shift or what's still left to do.
I used to be like everyone of you til I lost my job and with nothing in the area hiring I needed to work some where ...To be honest with you, I never worked so hard in my lifetime. I have the upmost respect for counter clerks/ drive through operators ..your job isn't easy and thank you a million times over for your friendly service...you have made me smile in my weakest moments ...thanks you and thank you for always being there for us ...unrespectable bunch

Ian Scott | Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 9:18pm

Tiny typo
This have me a chance to finally meet Marty MacLeod,
should read
Gave me

Barry Zuckerman | Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 8:19pm

Tom,
Runyon was the smoothest and the best I ever heard. When he spoke it like he was personally asking me a question. Jim never belonged doing early mornings in Chicago. He was the 10AM-2PM women's show guy. He was pure silk. His wife was Jane Roberts who was trooper 36-26-36 on the radio at CFL. I went to broadcasting school in 65-66 in Chicago and was the gopher for the great Ron Britain and Barney Pipp. Those 2 guys were very nice to me and always took care of me financially. What a time for radio in Chicago.

Barry Zuckerman | Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 8:11pm

I grew up listening to Martin and Howard. It is a shame that the famous Harry Martin passed away in SanDiego a few years ago. Specs Howard who was the voice hawking his wares on the Congo Curt tapes still has his broadcasting school in Detroit. Martin and Howard were the only ones who were able to run their own cart machines with the unions permission. When the 2 left Cleveland and went to Detroit it was a sad day for Cleveland radio. Lohman and Barkley sucked.

Regards,
Barry Zuckerman PS I spent 30 years in the radio biz because of these 2 mugs.

Timothy Cullen | Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 7:00pm

Well that explains my inconsistent Twitter usage.

Melissa | Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 9:20am

I first met Karin when I was working for Women's Network PEI. Every Tuesday she brought us lunch, and she'd stop by Thursdays as well if we asked. What a wonderful, thoughtful, and talented person. I am deeply saddened by her passing.

James Ramsay | Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 4:33am

1. April 8, 2003. I remember it well - my birthday
2. Didn't know OpenOffice featured pivot tables - why I'd been sticking with Excel
3. Worthy project, well done!

Igor | Wednesday, February 26, 2014 - 4:29pm

Now I want to do the same thing for me in Germany.

Robert Paterson | Wednesday, February 26, 2014 - 4:14pm

you are making a very important point Peter. It is important that each of us knows what we cost. For this is not free. We don't pay directly but we do cost. I think a great first step is to have annual health cost report for each person and family. If they have the billing then they have the costs - like our credit cards.

With a sense of the costs we can then think of the alternatives